The Bank of Montreal building was built in 1929 and is located on the busy intersection of Main and Broadway. It was designed by architects J. J. Honeyman and George Curtis – partners who had strong ties to the bank and who were responsible for designing many of the bank’s branches in Vancouver during the 1920’s and 30’s. Along with many other landmark heritage buildings around Mount Pleasant, the building is made up of yellow or brownish bricks and stone structures that were imported from the Clayburn Brick Plant in Abbotsford, BC.
The use of bricks continued to be utilised by the Bank of Montreal when each of the Big Five banks of Canada had a preferred material to represent their revitalised and revamped image during the post-Second World War era. Although the building in question was built before the Second World War, its small size and single-storey stature would be emblematic of the bank’s attempt to represent itself as a member of the greater community. Today, the building continues to be occupied by another financial services company, Money Mart, while the name of the bank remains engraved on top of the main entrance.
Harold D. Kalman and Sharon Vattay, “Bank Architecture,” The Canadian Encyclopaedia, 2012.
Robert G. Hill, “Honeyman, John James Bastion,” Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada 1800 – 1950.
Donald Luxton & Associates Inc. and City of Vancouver, “Mount Pleasant Historic Context Statement,” 2008.